Happy 2018! As a life coach I help my clients create the changes they desire in order to live healthier and happier lives. Today I am transitioning this blog to highlight and provide insight into the work I do as a weight loss coach, which is another area I focus on with my clients. I help my clients understand that self-care is the foundation for good health, energy and vitality. The term ‘self-care’ refers to being in tune and responsive to your own health needs, and as a coach I partner with you as you know best what your needs are. Because we are now in January of this New Year, when so many are working on their New Year’s resolutions, it feels like the perfect time to discuss this topic.
I am a strong believer that we must be our own health care advocates. The reality is that our health care system, government, and employers do not do this; it is up to us to address how to best improve our health and lives. Most importantly, we need to prioritize daily exercise, restful sleep and eating the right foods. These three points often have the greatest impact on our health, happiness and longevity. Our self-care routines affect every aspect of our lives, from our job, our relationships, how energetic we feel, and how much we can embrace, achieve and embrace each day we are here on earth.
I encourage you to do an assessment of your current self-care habits, identify what results you desire, and then craft a realistic plan to get you these results. Ask yourself the following questions:
· What areas of your life do you feel the need for more time and nurturing?
· Would you like to lose the pounds that have crept in while you were too busy running on the treadmill of life?
· Do you crave more time in nature?
· Do you love the idea of turning all electronics off for the weekend but have no clue how to even begin?
· Do you need to stick up for yourself and what matters most to you by setting some new boundaries?
· Would more quiet time and meditation time help you gain more control in your life?
· Are you sleeping soundly for a good 7 or 8 hours a night, and wake up feeling rested? Or, do you feel tired and need caffeine to keep you going during the day?
· Do you listen to your favorite music to relax and calm you down when you are feeling stressed and overwhelmed?
If any of these resonate with you, partnering with a life coach in 2018 will help you make the changes you desire in your life. It is amazing and empowering to see how even small ‘turtle steps’ of change can create the positive momentum necessary to be healthier, happier and more confident.
Our incredibly sweet and bright 80-year old neighbor, before she moved to Texas to be closer to her daughter, had a favorite saying which I think of often. When talking about health issues she would say “Your health is your wealth.” What she meant was it does not matter how much money we have, because if we are not healthy, we cannot enjoy the fruits of our labor. Self-care is a very important component to weight loss and feeling healthier. Always remember, you deserve the best life has to offer, and you can achieve your dreams.